Friday, May 16, 2008

Thoughts of an Inexperienced Youth Pastor

As I begin this new career, I have such a mixture of feelings. I am so excited to get started and to be in the midst of it and go through it all. I also have a small feeling of inadequacy. Of course, the thought that I am inadequate isn't exactly wrong. The fact is that I am inadequate. To do this kind of work, there is nothing in me that I can apply to this youth group to change it. There is nothing I can do to grow individuals closer to the Lord. And because of this my inadequacy actually comforts me, because I know that God is going to do all the work. I just have to be faithful and obedient, and God will work through that.

It's something that I think I am always going to have to remember-- that God is working. Maybe I can't see it or feel it or even sense it, but if the Word is being preached (pray that I preach it accurately!) then the Holy Spirit will use it. I can't wait to get started because I know I am going to see God do some incredible things in me and to my new home church in Fallbrook.

As my momma always said, God is faithful! He is going to do his work on this earth, and the sweet thing is that he lets us take part in it!

No comments: