Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Practical Proverbs

I've been doing a study on the Proverbs. It's actually quite a simple study. This is how I do it: I read a chapter. After I'm done reading it I go through each individual verse and put it into a category. For example, Proverbs I would put 1:7, "The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge; fools despise wisdom and instruction" in four different categories. I put it under a "Fear of the Lord" category, a "Knowledge" category, a "Fool/Foolishness" category, and a "Wisdom" category. There are so many categories that I have made (I'm in chapter 12) that by the time I'm done, I'm going to have a great resource for studying Proverbs and use. If I want to look up verses that have to do with money, I go to my "Money Issues" category, and look up the verses there.
Not only is it going to be a great resource, but it also forces me to think about what I'm reading. There are many verses that I have to figure out what the meaning is. For example, today I struggled for about 15 minutes with 11:15, "Whoever puts up security for a stranger will surely suffer harm, but he who hates striking hands in pledge is secure." I had to go to some commentaries for that one. It has forced me not to breeze through the Proverbs without thinking about them, cause that's all I've ever really done in the past. The cool thing I've found is that these Proverbs, once understood, ARE SO PRACTICAL. They hit on the everyday issues. This is the kind of wisdom that I need. This is the kind of wisdom that we all need! And, according to chapter 2, if we diligently look for it we will find it-- God will not with hold it from us!
I'm pretty pumped about my Proverbs study. It's true that the more you dive into the Word, the more you WANT to dive into the Word.

No comments: