Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Desiring God-- John Piper

I just finished reading John Piper's benchmark book, Desiring God. It took me a long time to finish and I am quick to blame busy-ness but I don't like blaming busy-ness for a bad reading schedule. Earlier this year I made it a goal of mine to read 25 books in 2008. I'm not on schedule.

But I have finally finished this one, and I'm very glad of it, because it's one of the great books on what it really means to be a Christian. John Piper has a uncanny ability to communicate effectively what is in his mind. The topic of this book is something that Piper calls "Christian Hedonism," which at first glance sounds like a contradiction of terms. Piper says that hedonism, living in pursuit of whatever pleasures you, is at the very center of real authentic Christianity. How can that be so? Because seeking after God in every area of your life 100% is ultimately the most pleasurable experience man can have. God doesn't demand (or want) joyless followers. He wants followers who leap in excitement out of their joy for their Master, and gladly follow Him.

It's a great read. And now that I'm done I'm moving on to a different book. Peace Child by Don Richardson, which is the telling of a true story of how the gospel came to impact some tribal people in New Guinea back in the 60's. I'll get back to you when I'm done to tell you how I liked it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wonderful blog! I definitely love how it’s easy on my eyes and also the data are well written. I am wondering how I might be notified whenever a new post has been made. I have subscribed to your rss feed which need to do the trick! Have a nice day!